Thomas Newton Spillman1,2
(1847 - 12 January 1907)
Thomas Newton Spillman|b. 1847\nd. 12 Jan 1907|p903.htm|Charles W. Spillman|b. 12 Oct 1823\nd. 21 Feb 1908|p879.htm|Harriett Rowlett|b. Sep 1832\nd. Sep 1859|p885.htm|Henry Spillman|b. c 1778|||||||||||
- Appears on the following charts:
- Descendants of Charles Spillman
Thomas Newton Spillman was born in 1847 in Henry County, Kentucky.3,4 He moved with his parents to Worth County, Missouri, in 1851 when he was three years old.5,6 He was 12 when Harriett Rowlett died in Sep 1859.5,7,8 He began military service circa 1864 (Union army) but, because hostilities were already drawing to a close, returned home without ever seeing active service.3 He was a farm hand between 1865 and 1869.3 Purchased a small farm shortly after his marriage.3 He married first Mary A. Robertson, daughter of James A. Robertson, on 28 Feb 1869 in Worth County, Missouri, by David Stites.3,9 Thomas was widowed by Mary's death after 22 Jan 1870 in Missouri.3 He married second Balzora Evans on 17 Dec 1871 in Worth County, Missouri, by Ezekial Sharp.10,11 He was a member of the New Hope Baptist Church, where he served as clerk for 20 years.3 Thomas Newton died in Missouri on 12 Jan 1907.3
Last Edited=March 17, 2007
Child of Thomas Newton Spillman and Mary A. Robertson
- William P. Spillman+ (22 Jan 1870 - )3
Children of Thomas Newton Spillman and Balzora Evans
- Unknown author, Obituary of C. W. Spillman (Grant City, MO: Grant City Star, 27 Feb 1908).
- Unknown author, Email from Mary Ray to Bob Bixby (n.p.: n.pub., 28 Dec 1999).
- Walter Williams, History of Northwest Missouri (Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1915), p. 998.
- Dwelling 310, family 318, sheet 38B, line 11 household, 1880 United States Census, Missouri, Worth County, unknown cd2. Copy quality is fair, highly stylized handwriting, but legible. Lists Harvey, wife Sarah, son Wesley. Match based on location and dob of Wesley. In addition Harvey corresponds with name of Wesley's known eldest son: Louis Harvey. NARA. T9, roll 741.
- C. W. Spillman Obituary, 27 Feb 1908, 5-3.
- Walter Williams, History of Northwest Missouri, p. 998. This history dates the move to 1850, but the September 1850 census still has the family in Trimble County, Kentucky, and it seems unlikely that Charles and Harriet would have undertaken such a journey late in the year with an infant son..
- Letter, unknown author to unknown recipient, 28 Dec 1999.
- Unknown author, "Schedule of 1860 Gentry County Missouri Mortality" (n.p.: Nadine Hodges and Mrs. Howard W. Woodruff, 1968).
- Unknown author, Worth County Missouri Marriage Book "A" 1861-1873 (n.p.: Nadine Hodges and Mrs. Howard W. Wo, Mar 1972), from p. 86.
- Walter Williams, History of Northwest Missouri, p. 999.
- Unknown author, "unknown short article title", from p. 123.